Members of the Climate Action Group (formerly name the Environmental Action Group) [Meg Clark, Steve Clark, Aurora Dizel, Tracy Lira, Jean Lutes, Melisa Roman and Noel Smyth] gave a detailed environmental presentation at the April 15, 2018 H-CAN general meeting.
The information they presented covered the following topics:
- Background on climate change and why we need to act now.
- Reviewed what efforts have been enacted locally to combat climate change and next steps.
- An update on Havertown’s Environmental Advisory Committee (EAC) and what you can do to help. (Did you know about the Hav-a-Rain Garden program?)
- A “how to” tutorial on switching to a renewable energy company for your PECO bill.
- An informative and disturbing update on the Mariner East Pipeline Project that has the potential for leaks and damage close to our area (Linvilla Orchards would be affected by any damage in the pipeline).
- An update by Citizens’ Climate Lobby and how to join their efforts.
To learn more about the great topics discussed at the meeting, be sure to download the H-CAN Climate Action Group’s presentation.
After the presentation, Jess Cadorette from PennEnvironment shared with attendees the Voice for 100% Renewable Energy initiative and asked that attendees go to several filming locations set up by H-CAN's staff at the meeting to create their own personal videos that would be used for a lobby day in Harrisburg on Tuesday, June 12, 2018. Jess invited H-CAN members to come out to the lobby day in Harrisburg, meet with elected officials and urge them to support 100% renewable energy legislation.
At the local level, Jean Lutes reminded everyone that a climate rally is taking place in May:
Keep Our Climate Promise Kids Rally
Location: Oakmont Administration Building (50 East Eagle Road, Havertown, PA)
Date: Thursday, May 17, 2018 at 7:00 p.m.
The rally is to remind our Commissioners about the importance of fighting climate change and ensuring that our township is doing all it can to stick to the Haverford Township’s 2017 Clean Energy Resolution.